Saturday, February 11, 2012

I live in Culver City (CA) and I'm looking for dashi, for miso soup. Where can I find it?

Oh yeah, I've already checked at Vons and Ralphs.I live in Culver City (CA) and I'm looking for dashi, for miso soup. Where can I find it?
Go north on Sawtelle (Parallel to Sepulveda) and once you pass olympic or pico (forgot which one) you'll hit a japanese community/business area. Many places for miso soup. But there should be a medium sized japanese market there as well. There are smaller markets in the area too.
are you wanting to cook with it or just eat it at a restaurant? to purchase it, check out trader joes or pavilions on jefferson %26amp; sepulveda. still no luck? contact the maker of dashi on the web and ask them who sells it locally. you can also ask your local grocery store to carry it as well. also, check yellow pages for japanese markets in the area. there are some japanese restaurants located on sawtelle north of olympic. theres a japanese restaurant on venice at hughes called miyako. very good. try them. or simply ask the waiter/waitress at a japanese restaurant where they get dashi.I live in Culver City (CA) and I'm looking for dashi, for miso soup. Where can I find it?
Dashi is a simple broth made from dried bonito flakes and kombu sea vegetable. You can get these items at any japanese or asian food store. It's really simple to make, simply simmer a piece of the kombu for 10 minutes, turn off the heat, add some of the bonito flakes, let it sit for 5 minutes, strain and you have your dashi. The japanese have all kinds of instant dashi products; bottles, powders, etc. Many of them have MSG in them....so look carefully or chill and don't worry about it, you'll live! I recently bought some dashi sachet packets at a store in Seattle. Miso without dashi just isn't the same!
or head to Little Tokyo in downtown LA.. near 4th street I believe.

Go to Mitsuwa and they have the ingredients .



Check the phone book for Mitsuwa, or there's also Mirakai
Go to Surfas on National and Venice Blvd in Culver City, they have lots of gourmet foods/items. If they are out, go to Sawtelle Blvd in West LA where there are Japanese grocery stores

No comments:

Post a Comment