Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Just made miso soup but it has really strong after-taste of iodine?

I just made real 'dashi', using a strip of kombu and some bonito flakes. I put the kombu on a low heat and it took about 10 minutes until it almost simmered, then I removed it.

All seemed to go great. I added the miso paste and the soup was really delicious.



But 1 hour later, I still have this really strong after-taste of iodine.



What did I do wrong?

Do I need to water down the dashi? Why is it so strong? I never had this after-taste when I have had miso soup in a restaurant.



The kombu was about 3 in by 4 in and I put in about 5 cups of water, though it's true quite a bit had evaporated off by the time I was ready to use it for the miso soup.|||did you leave the miso paste with the dashi?



i've worked in a japanese restaurant and we always kept the two separate before serving. i'm not sure what the science maybe, but keeping the two together for a long period of time may cause that iodine taste.



if not. sorry :(|||Exactly, Miso shouldn't be boiled / cooked for too long, so it's better to put it just before serving. Also, Kombu can give quite powerful flavour. For example,if you lick Kombu before cooking, it already tastes iodine / bit salty. In the restaurant, normally they don't take so much effort to produce miso soup, as it is a part of side dish. So they can put powdered dashi which is also very commonly used in everyday life in Japan. It doesn't necessarily contain MSG. I hope your good luck when you make your miso soup next time !
  • san diego restaurants
  • puerto rico
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment