Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Why does society try teaching you that there's certain things you HAVE to do to be "normal"?

I.e. I just turned 21 five days ago, and I'm not big on drinking...I'll probably have like the occasional glass of wine now that I can buy it, but I have absolutely zero desire to go out to clubs and get trashed or any of that.


So in the weeks before my birthday, several of my friends told me that I "HAD" to drink on my birthday because it's "just what you have to do when you turn 21." When I responded that I'd much rather have a nice dinner at a Japanese steakhouse or something instead, I got the "awwwww come on"s and "but you have to"s.





I also have I guess "unusual" views on dating...I don't date guys unless I feel an extremely strong connection with them because otherwise I just feel like I'm wasting my time trying to convince myself I'm into a guy that I'm really not that crazy about, and I also avoid relationships I know are going to eventually fail because, frankly, I'm not a fan of heartbreak or spending months with someone just to have him exit your life one day.





And my sister is the complete opposite; she dates every single guy who so much as looks at her because she has to have a boyfriend all of the time. So she's constantly making fun of me for it and trying to make me look bad in front of her friends...not just with the dating thing, but like her friend asked me to buy them alcohol, and she said "she's not like us" in the most condescending voice ever.





Why are such shallow things supposed to define our worth in society? I don't mean shallow in the sense that everyone who drinks to get drunk is "shallow"..I mean shallow in the sense that it sounds rather silly to me to say "if you don't drink this beverage, you're a loser."|||these are people who cant think for themselves. but you better believe they are the one who live by contradiction. you have it backwards they want you to be as weak minded as them. so they dont feel like the loser.. my advice is keep thinking for yourself and watch in the next year or two the people that think that way end up on welfare or in jail. by societys standards. the jokes on them... as for dating when you think for yourself you can pick who or whats good for you and be happy.|||lol! i know what you mean, i'm also 21 and not big on drinking. unfortunately some people seem to think excessive drinking and sleeping around is some sort of rite of passage...|||Eh, tell your sister and all of your friends, who say you "must" go drink, to stuff it.


Do what makes you happy, and don't worry about meeting society's standard of "normal." Its a ridiculous concept. None of us are really normal, we all do things someone else would view as strange.|||Right on.





The quicker you learn how stupid our society is, the better!





Edit: "...there own illiteracy..." LOL x 10|||yup and then again.|||It appears your dealing with people





who judge a book by it's cover yet





unlike the person you are, you have





the full capacity to read what's between





the lines in that book, safe to say who'll





one day be the author of her own destiny





while leaving those fools to wallow in the





cesspool, of there own illiteracy . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment