Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Can I throw a bday party for my husband and not pay for guests dinner?

I want to take my husband out for dinner at a Japanese steakhouse for his birthday. I thought it would be fun to include his parents (we're close with them), and a couple friends. We don't really have the money to pay for everyone, since that type of meal can get pricey. Is it ok to invite people to meet us for dinner if we aren't paying for them? If so, how can I invite them and make it clear? I don't want to be cheap, but we're expecting our first child and really have no wiggle room financially, but I don't want my husband's birthday to go unnoticed/celebrated!


Thanks!|||You are exploring uncharted waters. Why not have a traditional tea party?|||Yes it's fine not to pay for them! I mean you're not at a sweet sixteen or anything, where everything is paid for the guests. Your friends should understand that money is tight and though they may think you're a bit stingy for a week or so, they'll get over it. Don't worry about it, it sounds like a great plan and I bet your husband will love it!|||





Yes, of course.... and a great way to give the head's up that you're not paying for everyone is this:





let your guests know the restrauant you're going to, the date, etc,


and then let them know the average entree prices on the menu...





"you'll love the food there, and i wanted to keep the price down for everyone, and their entrees only run about $15.00" (for example)|||ofcourse why not, my friends threw a party for themselves two weeks after their bdays and we paid for ourselves even tho the resturant sucked|||No, if you throw a party you should pay for the people you invited. If you don't want to pay, then consider having a potluck at your house and take your husband out another night.





The only exception I could see is if your friends and parents do the same to you... do they invitie you out and then make you pay? If they pick up the tab you should too. Otherwise it's tacky.|||Tell them it's a potluck party or dutch dinner. Don't mention the birthday or they will think you want gifts.|||I would say if you are inviting them to a "party" then yes you should pay but if you just let everyone know that you are going out to eat to celebrate with him then no you need not pay for everyone.|||It is not expected that you pay for everyone's meal.





That is more taboo when it comes to children's birthday parties, but you will be fine.





Everyone expects to pay for their own meal.





Have a good time!|||I went out with friends a few weeks ago. Same situation. They did pay for the drinks and we paid for the food ourselfs.|||Once you invite them tell them what the average meal cost there, and say that is his favorite place to eat. This way they are not going to suggest going some where else. Your friends shouldn't assume that you will foot the bill. Invite them anyway and if they show they show, or get to RSVP you back by a certain time. More than likely if people come, they will pay for his Birthday dinner if they are good friends. Good Luck|||Ok, It may just be me, but normally in my experience when someone goes out for dinner with friends to "celebrate" people pay for their own meal. To be truthful, I know many friends who sneak around and steal the bill and treat the b-day person with a free meal and some alchol.





I'd say that if you want to make it clear, you could just say... Everyone is paying for themselves... Or if your really tight for money, maybe it's better to have a BBQ, you provide the meat and drinks and ask everyone else to provide some side dish, deserts, and beer (if your into that). Personally, I like the BBQ and have more food than some of teh fancy places I've been to.

No comments:

Post a Comment