Saturday, February 11, 2012

When I see 'Dashi' in recipies, sometimes it's in mililitres and I have it in granules.How much water do I use

So how much water do I mix with Dashi in order to make it into liquid?When I see 'Dashi' in recipies, sometimes it's in mililitres and I have it in granules.How much water do I use
50g
Dash - A measuring term referring to a very small amount of seasoning added to food with a quick, downward stroke of the hand, such as "a dash of Tabasco." In general, a dash can be considered to be somewhere between 1/16 and a scant 1/8 teaspoon.



Measure out what you need in a separate bowl, and add water to the consistency you are looking for them measure your ''Dash''When I see 'Dashi' in recipies, sometimes it's in mililitres and I have it in granules.How much water do I use
I think you are talking about Japanese Dashi? Dashi is a Japanese soup stock made from dried bonito flakes and seaweed. I think what you are referring to is an instant Dashi stock granules, such as Hondashi made by Ajinomoto.

For reconstituting, remember 30 cc (or mililiters) is 1oz, and follow the package direction. Generally, people usually use one teaspoon dissolved in two cup of water. They do contain MSG, so you don't want to overuse it.
With the individual packages, they can take up to 2 cups of water, but why not add a little soya, sake or sweet mirin, this will extend it, if your in the adventerous mood, the Japanese stores generally sell small bag of Bonito Flakes, the essential base to Dashi. Some peop;e like with anchovys are not keen to using a fish product they would not normally eat or see.



Try it some time, there are a number of varoious toher soup bases out there like Miso and Sunomono.

No comments:

Post a Comment