Saturday, February 11, 2012

How do I use dashi granules?

I have some dashi granules. What is the ratio of granules to water? Do I boil the granules in the water or can I just mix them in cold?How do I use dashi granules?
The amount of dashi powder that you need to mix with water usually depends on what you are making.



I have a pack of Shimaya Dashi Stock Powder here and it recommends the following amounts:



Miso Soup

2 sachets of dashi powder (10g) %26amp; 8-10 cups of water. Makes 8-10 servings.



Noodle Soup

2 sachets of dashi powder (10g) %26amp; 5 cups of water. Makes 3 servings.



Miso soup tends to be a bit weaker with the dashi as it is flavoured more by the miso paste. Noodle soup can be made from just dashi which is why the flavour is concentrated more. Noodle soup also usually has a little soy sauce added too.



For a general guide, try mixing one sachet of dashi powder (5g) with approximately 500ml of water. Using hot water is better than cold water as it will dissolve the powder faster.



Of course, your own taste preferences is always the best choice, so use this as a guide, then try adding extra water or dashi as needed. I really love the taste of dashi, so quite happy to add a little more for an extra strong taste.



I recently wrote an article about dashi, how it can be used and also how you can make it at home from natural ingredients:

http://blog.japancentre.com/2011/07/06/w鈥?/a>



I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment