Saturday, February 11, 2012

What can I do with the konbu that I have used to make dashi? It seems a shame to just throw it away.?

I know I can use it a second time (Niban dashi), but after that, can something be done with it instead of discarding it?What can I do with the konbu that I have used to make dashi? It seems a shame to just throw it away.?
I am a former chef and worked in Japan for a hotel chain back in the 1980's, and while you can re-use it for at least 2 more uses, just dry it and let it sit until firm, refrigerate it and use it agian.



I would how ever be leary of making it into a smoothie, it can be a bit harsh, especially thet much a one time, there are other seaweed for that, and I pay for a 6 oz chunk at my health food store, you can cut your own around $6.00 and it can be more if packaged, it the japanese restaurant in the hotels and else were you will see them drying on a line like green pair of pantyhose, it is precious and not something like a teabag you can chuck after one use.
Put it in a blender with some fruit juice and fruit and make a green smoothie?What can I do with the konbu that I have used to make dashi? It seems a shame to just throw it away.?
Simmer it in shoyu and sugar. That's what my Grandmother did with it.
  • walkie talkie
  • benihana menu
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment