Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tonjiru - water vs. dashi?

My recipe uses dashi, but the twice that I've made it before I had none and substituted chicken broth. Now I have dashi, and just looking around the web, some sites say when actually using pork (rather than a veggie-only version) dashi isn't necessary and to use water, because the pork and vegetables are enough flavor. It's not a huge deal, of course, but what are some of your thoughts?Tonjiru - water vs. dashi?
using dashi seems more of a tradition, and the actual flavor that it gives off is so slight that personally i don't think makes much of a difference; only unless you're making a clear broth soup or something lighter in flavor. but in a case of making tonjiru, where there will be a lot of flavors from the various ingredients the broth will not make a difference unless you're a super taste snob/expert.



-but that's how my mom teached me how to prepare basic japanese cuisine that i do use dashi always anyways. :DTonjiru - water vs. dashi?
Using dashi is the correct way and more traditional

No comments:

Post a Comment