Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Since I am breastfeeding, should I limit how much bonito stock/hon dashi I eat?

I know that there are various guidelines regarding restricting fish consumption if you are pregnant or lactating because of mercury levels. Also, some sources state that bonito can have high mercury levels and that many miso and udon broths are made from bonito flakes/powder. I'm wondering if I should restrict how much miso soup/udon broth I eat because of this or whether I should not use bonito powder when I make miso soup because of this or whether the mercury levels or so minimal when making broth that it doesn't matter. Thanks in advance.Since I am breastfeeding, should I limit how much bonito stock/hon dashi I eat?
I'm not really sure, but since no one has responded yet, I'll venture a guess: I think it would be wise to watch it, if I am correct, bonito is made from a member of the tuna family, so mercury could be an issue. However, the amount you would be getting, even if you ate miso soup every day wouldn't equal the recommended limit of "high-risk" fish. Plus, organic mercury - the kind present in effected fish - isn't passed well into breastmilk, so baby will have minimal exposure.



According to the sources I've read, mercury exposure through breastmilk is not a big concern.



I've listed some sources below for you to check out, but if you have concerns, I'd talk to a nutritionist or well-informed pediatrician.



Hope that helped some!

No comments:

Post a Comment