Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Replacement for dashi in miso soup?

I was hoping to make a vegetarian miso soup that tastes flavorful. I'm not sure how much the dashi contributes to that taste I loved, but people say it does add richness to it.



So how can I make a savory but simple miso soup? I have my red paste, firm tofu, and sheets of sushi nori seaweed I was just going to shred. I'm not really interested in adding anything else (like veggie wise), the Japanese restaurant by me is tasty with just the miso/tofu/seaweed.



Any help? Would some soy sauce help?Replacement for dashi in miso soup?
you dont need dashi for this one. its very simple





Basic Vegetarian Miso Soup



Ingredients:

4 cups water

1/3 cup miso

3 green onions (scallions), chopped

1 tbsp shredded nori OR wakame (seaweed)

1/2 block firm silken tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes

dash soy sauce (optional)

1/2 tsp sesame oil (optional)



Preparation:

Bring water to a slow simmer and add seaweed. Allow to simmer at least 5-6 minutes. The longer you simmer the seaweed, the less of a salty fishy flavor it will have.

Reduce heat to very low and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir until miso is well dissolved. Its best not to boil the miso, as this will ruin some of it's healthy properties as well as change the flavor of the soup. Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment