Saturday, February 18, 2012

Okinawan Karate Quiz?

Ok here goes my shot.





1) What is this position at the opening and ending of a kata called and what is it's meaning?





http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/k鈥?/a>





2) How should a Neko Ashi Dashi (Cat stance) best be utilized?





http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/k鈥?/a>





3) What would you be doing with this motion from kata, in actual self defense? Keep in mind that you would be in motion as this is performed in the kata.





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZJG71v3q鈥?/a>





4) What would this block be used for?





http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f385/k鈥?/a>





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D504pCItm鈥?/a>





5) What is Tenshin, why is it importent, and what is it utilized for?





I will give feedback as soon as I am able, however I will be in and out today, and thanks to the new account have limited E-mail ability. Pleas ebe patient.











|||YAY - I get to make stuff up that I have no idea about. Thanks for posting a quiz - I'm doing this one purely for feedback, since I have no clue about Okinawan Karate.





1 ) Paying Respect (no idea, actually) - this is a moment that a karateka takes to reflect and pay respect to his art, teacher, and predecessors. It is a spiritual moment of meditation before a physical act, and a "thanks giving" afterward.





2) Most of the weight is on the back foot, so this looks like more of a defensive posture than anything. I'll say kicking (snap-front kick) would be very quick from here. Defense + counter-strike with hands would make sense as well, since you'd have time to re-adjust your weight forward while defending, and strike with more power. The hand positions look like they would be good for trapping, too, but I don't know if Okinawan Karate uses trapping per se.





3) I see the hand crossing the body - presumably for defense to the head and neck - that's the starting position. The downward strike with an open hand could be used to block or push-away a strike. Since it's done with power, and the rear hand is in a "ready" position, I'm guessing it's a block which ideally turns the opponent or knocks away his striking tool (fist/stick,whatever), preparing for a counter-strike - I see a potential "spear-hand" or finger strike, (could be modified to a straight punch) with the rear, but the guy doesn't throw it...





4) I see 2 potential uses - obviously the right forearm lifts, removing an obstacle or blocking a straight punch or a chopping type attack (from above the head striking downward like an axe kick). I also see the left arm covering against a body kick, while setting up a counter-strike. The video shows a very deep stance - I'd guess you'd block high with the right and chamber the left, step forward, and strike hard with the left.





5) Tenshin? EEK lemme look it up! (insert pause here) OK - it's "A movement where nage retreats 45 degrees away from the attack (esp. to uke's open side)". I'm saying this is pretty typical intelligent retreat. You move back and to the side defensively / evasively. This forces the opponent to re-align (preferably to his weak side, but useable in various ways). In the re-alignment period, you would re-set defense, or possibly counter-strike.





I'm limiting my answers to logic, my imagination, and your images (except for the definition of tenshin which I got from Google - link attached.) Forgive my ignorance - I did this one for feedback and to learn about an art I don't have experience with.





Thanks for the Quiz Katana!|||1. Mudra = I bear no evil and bring no weapons.





2.Well it can be used as a hooking sweep of the front leg, as well as having pressure point applications among others.





3. It has many interpretations as you know. I like to use this as a strike to the neck or a takedown.





4. Depending on the agressor it can be a strike under the chin, an arm break, or a srtike to the arm points.





5. Changing the plane of attack by moving at a 45 degree angle





FUNFUN!!|||It would have been a lot more fun if you would have asked what an augmented forearm block is and used for and how.





1 which of ten explanations I have been given would you like.?


2 some would say his lead foot is to far from his rear foot some would say to close.You have shifted off his line of attack you now can do a side kick to his knee or front kick to his ribs.If you are in his line of attack with this weak stance you will get "run" over.


3 while pressing down his left arm with your right perform a left shuto to the neck or press down his right arm with your left and right shuto depending on which stance you are in left or right back stance .Basic practice of a technique doesn't do it justice and is often misleading making it appear to be a block.


4 again it is not neccesarily a block tho the basic practice would make it appear as being only a block


5 tenshin tenkan tenkan waza to turn in a partial or complete circle the art of "not being there" a mainstay of aikido jujutsu and aiki jutsu.





Even among OKINAWAN practioners there are differences of opinion as to what these movements mean and many of the explanations I have came from OKINAWAN practioners including my GOJU SENSEI and close friend with whom I trained privately for 2 years .|||1. Paper covers rock, signalling a victory for the one who chose paper.








2. It can be utilized to cause people massive fits of laughter, and for a practioner to drop into and say "I know karate" while his opponent falls to the floor laughing. (Note this can only be done properly in a Gi with no sleeves). lol, it can be used defensively as others have said, it allows easy access to blocks, places weight on back foot makes linear attacks and retreats good.





3. NO Youtube at work...





4. "Wash the Car" good for deflecting blocks being punched and directed towards your centerline, depending on the style some believe you can break, or injure an opponent with a very hard block.





5. This is the same as Tenjin right? "Divinely Inspired"? It is similar to Tai Sabaki, meaning moving out of the way of an attack,. it may be more technical as others have denoted as far moving off at a 45 degree angle.





Totally whipped my but on this one, it has been years since I did Karate lol.|||Your first picture is a sign of respect, though having slight application, it is used more as a formal greeting.





Your second picture (cat stance) is a defensive stance opening three weapons to immediate use. Usually executed in close range, this stance has weak balance, but what it lacks in balance it makes up in mobility. This stance also is used quite often as a intermediate (or transitional) stance before a front kick.





Your third picture (or video) has many on the street applications. Most apparent if a wrist breakaway, throw, grab and chop. Though this one movement in kata is used as a single move, never expect it to work as a stand alone technique.





Your fourth picture is a high block. Taught to defend against downward attacks, this movement also has many applications, including but not limited to, wrist breakaways, neck snap, forearm strike, and bearhug defense.





Now your fifth question pretains to only to your stlye os Karate with which I'm not familiar with. All answers provided come from my training in TDK. Hope this helps, and remember, things are ot always the way they seem.|||1 - This salute is actually not normally used for martial arts, it is for use in family and close knit friend circles. The fact that the Okinawans chose this in the intro to some kata doesn't surprise me as the attitude of Okinawans is usually friendly and hospitable.





In China, this means a few things. One that I personally adhere to is one fist(whether open or closed, it is still a "fist") symbolizes the mind and the other the body. Uniting them means readiness, whether to gather to have a meal or to sit an have a discussion.





It also symbolizes "reflection" - as in a light and its reflection.





It also has a historical undertone having to do with the Shaolin who fought against the Manchus. They identified themselves by saluting a specific way using the "Sun and Moon" salute.





My Teacher also showed us some martial application.





2 - Neko Ashi has really not been utilized properly by western students. Yes, it is a "ready foot" for kicking. It is also, as Aaron said, and my favorite usage, a Pressure Point Attack. It also sets up Tenshin.





As far as "Hiden" goes, the presence of Neko Ashi in kata is also a foot/leg application like a kick or leg-check.





3 - The Shuto is one of my favorite techniques. I do not execute it the way it is done on this video. I use it as a simultaneous "uke" strike to the... well I won't say here. I will email you this application. One thing, it is a very dangerous technique. You have pressure point strikes and grapples from shuto uke. There are many attacks to various targets.





4 - Jodan Uke is a very devastating technique. Again, the amount of strikes and grappling will amaze you. In Goju Ryu, there originally is no Jodan Uke. Miyagi Sensei added it with the formulation of Gekisai because he saw something that was very applicable that wasn't found in the Naha Te kata. It is a Shuri/Tomari Te technique.





I will email you the descriptions of the bunkai.





5 - Tenshin means Body Change. The movement of kata teaches body change. I always tell my students "obey the kata". When you turn your foot whether it is inward or outward, you are effecting where your "tanden" ( Dan Tien) is directed. You should always guide your technique with your Tanden and Tenshin is the method used to execute this properly.|||Let me see If I can get any of these to your liking.


1. A salute/ block/ strike to Dan Tien/ block then strike to Dan Tien


2. I always used it as a "sucker kick" with the forward leg.


Step back and then hit him with a front snap kick off the lead leg, HOWEVER in the Kata Bassai it appears "to me anyway" to be used with a throw.


3. Shuto Uke? HA HA HA this has always been a funny to me. Uke means block. With this technique that is only part of it. The "set" is the "block". The hand that becomes the Shudo parries a shot "set position" then


The low hand grabs the nerve cluster under the elbow and pulls back while the Shudo strikes the nerves on the side of the neck. Its actually a block-strike combo. It works well, police use the strike part of it and call it the bracial stun (spelling bad sorry)


4. Parry to the outside and break the arm OR parry to the out side and forearm strike to the neck (the neck one is my favorite). The idea of using this to block a punch is just stupid.


5. Foot work, DUH , evasion. I personally feel That Bagua Zhang and Hsing I have better evasive tactics than Karate. I also "Personally feel" that Jook Lum has better utilization of the foot work as an attack/counter than Karate.( Chi Gerk)





Maybe you don't agree with what I have written here, Maybe you don't agree with many of my opinions in general. Thats OK. I will tell you that I started studying Shudo Kan Karate 14 years ago. I learned


5 pinans


2 Nifanchis


2 Wankans


Sanchin


Bassai


Sesean


Sepai


Chinto


Koshikan


and a butt ton of Chin Na, 66 basics, and bunkai.





As for weapons, I tinkered with chucks a little but never really got into them very seriously. Weapons just ain't my thing.





I have studied Kali, Jook Lum Gee Tong Long Pai, Bagua Zhang/Hsing Yi, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and tinkered around a bit with some Aikido guys for about a year.


I am not a Ninja, a Samurai, or Shaolin. Nor do I wish I was.


I like the Martial arts and have as much fun with them as I can.


Have a nice day.....................................鈥?









No comments:

Post a Comment