Saturday, February 11, 2012

Dashi alternative for Japanese cooking?

I can't get Dashi where I live, or the ingredients to make it. Does anyone know of any way to make something similar that will do at a pinch? Thanks for your help.Dashi alternative for Japanese cooking?
You can probably get the instant dashi online, but I would use that as a last resort. It tends to be too salty.



If you head to your local bookstore, look at a Japanese Cookbook. It might offer resources in the back where you can order items online. Here are a few that I used when I lived in Florida and could not find quality Asian products:



Equipment:

http://www.korin.com



Food Items:

http://www.maruwa.com/index_e.html

http://www.qualitynaturalfoods.com

http://www.southrivermiso.com

http://www.uwajimaya.com



I wish you the best of luck in finding what you need. I live near Japantown in San Francisco, if you need anything shipped to you, let me know.
Well as former chef who worked in Japan and made it from scratch many times a non fish or bonito based one can be made with a beef broth or bouillon, some sliced ginger, soya sauce and a bit of either sake or sherry, we had to make an alterantive to it for some foreign gueest who wanted a non seafood based miso soup.



I would use athe directed water requested, add the ginger, soya sauce and the wine, bring it to the boil turn it off and let it sit, remove the ginger add you veg, and tofu, the turn it off and stir in the miso paste, garnish with green onions, DO NOT boil the misoit will become bitter and split.Dashi alternative for Japanese cooking?
You should be able to find dried seaweed and bonito flakes at a local Asian market.



I like Fueru Wakame dried seaweed. Soak in warm water for about five minutes and add to soups or use as a garnish/salad. There's been a huge selection at every Asian market I've been to, though, from sprinkle-on portions to big kelp leaves that you could wrap a fish in.



For bonito flakes (katsuobushi), look for individual-use packets. I haven't tested this, but I suspect those huge bags will go bad due to moisture/air exposure.



If you can't find any flakes, just use dried fish. Think of the fish like little fishy teabags. You could tie a string to the tail if that helps. (Even if you can't find an Asian market, you can probably find a Mexican one, and they'll probably have dried fish.)



You might also find anchovy or sardine powder, even at non-Asian markets.



Mushroom broth is another good alternative.



EDIT: I gave alternatives, you goddamn maniac.



Where do you live? I bet $500 there's an Asian market within 30 minutes of you.
Dashi is really a one of a kind that cant be subsituted. You could try a fish or seafood stock/clear broth instead....

I can relate to your problem my local supermarket sells dashi granules in the imported food section now which is really handy. Before that my nearest Asian grocery store was a 400km drive away - a benefit of living in a rural area!

No comments:

Post a Comment