Saturday, March 3, 2012

Misspelled name in the international airline ticket?

I've bought an e-ticket from Delta.com. Travelling Moscow - Atlanta - Detroit - New York - Moscow


But I've spelled my name as I usually do (EUGENE VARNAVSKY), while in my passport it is spelled EVGENY VARNAVSKI. Clearly the same, but i afraid it can cause problems in the airport with these buorecrats. And the route is long with alot of check-ins. Delta says that name on ticket and ID "must match", and it is impossible to change name on ticket or get a refund. That ticket price is my salary for 1,5 months!


Will this cause any trouble for me? What can I do now?|||Are you flying all on Delta, or are you traveling on other airlines also? If you are on Delta alone, you should be able to call back to ask for the correction due to a typographical error. If you are also traveling on other airlines, they are unable to change the name, because it will cause you to lose your space on the other airlines. If you have a second form of identification that shows your name spelled the way you normally do, that may curtail any problems. It will not be the first time security sees someone with a name translation issue- so even if they were to do a secondary screening, you should be allowed to travel. Good luck.|||First, you might want to edit to remove your actual name.





Secondly, is your passport Russian? If so, I would say 80% sure that it will be ok.





But Delta should be willing to reissue the ticket for a simple mistake on the name... I would try calling back a couple times to see if someone would be willing to do it.





Also, call customer relations instead of reservations.|||Try and ask the airline ground staff to make notations in your ticket that you are one and the same when you check in. There should be no problems with this.|||I had a similar problem when I bought a ticket to Paris for my girlfriend and spelled her last name wrong. The airline was BA and once I had phoned them to notify them of my mistake they advised me that they would make note of it on there computer system and it would be OK.





I must admit I felt worried and a bit of a fool whilst we were waiting to check in at the airport but everything was OK and the corrected ticket was issued at the desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment