Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Where can I buy Textured Vegetable Protein?

I live in Los Angeles.


Where can I buy this from? How much does it usually cost? And, does it taste good?|||I can get it at any Safeway or Albertsons or Nob Hill or Raleys here in Cali. It's been a while, but it'll be under $5. The most popular one to find is Bob's Red Mill. As for taste, I thought it was OK, I used it in chili a couple times. But I tried to hide it from my hubby and he could tell it wasn't ground beef.|||Any Whole Foods or Wild Oats supermarket will sell it, usually in the bulk bins.





It's relatively inexpensive and tastes good if your seasonings are good - it will soak up the flavor of whatever you're cooking it with.|||I don't know if this is any good to you but I live in England and can get it at any supermarket or health food store. The best I get is the soya mince slightly flavoured with yeast and roasted barley and you can substitute all or some for meat in your recipes.|||I'm in the UK, but I know most health food shops will sell it, and some of the better supermarkets. It doesn't taste like much - I usually soak it in hot vegetable stock for 5 minutes or so, although if you are using it in a liquidy sauce it will just soak up that flavour.


You can sometimes get savoury-style, which is quite tasty. TVP is pretty cheap over here, so I imagine it should be the same in LA. Much cheaper than beef mince or similar.


It can also be called soya mince, but they're basically the same product.

No comments:

Post a Comment