Friday, March 9, 2012

I want to become vegetarian, mainly for health reasons. What are my chances of losing weight? ?

Probably 75% of my diet has been meat for the past 15 years. I'm sick of it. It's starting to disgust me and cause cravings at the same time and I can't seem to lose weight. I plan to eat a good balance of protein from soy and textured vegetable protein (wheat gluten), nuts, and beans along with carbs from vegetables, rice, some bread and pretty much everything else besides fruit. I can't stand fruit.





If I keep a good balance will I lose weight and stay healthy without increasing my exercise or starving and feeling hungry?|||Not all of the answers you've gotten so far are true, I actually DID lose weight after i stopped eating meat. Not intentionally, I just got skinny. But because I made that risk I also slowed down on eating things that weren't really healthy for me... I quit drinking soda, didn't eat as much junk food... never worked out though. Good luck.|||It is very likely that your diet change will help you lose weight. Well if you don't exchange meat for potatoes, which is what I did the first time I became a vegetarian. Potatoes are very not good for my thighs. Anyway, good luck.|||It's a common misconception that you can lose weight by becoming vegetarian. Vegetarians can eat cake and pie like meat eaters. You still have to concentrate on eating healthy to lose weight whether you eat meat or not.|||There is a good chance, but it is totally possible to become vegetarian and not loose any weight because even a vegetarian diet can be fattening or unhealthy if it is not done properly.|||With all diets, it is not about the food that you eat but the calories you consume. There are many vegetarians (myself included, before I went vegan) that will load up on chips, french fries and junk food, even though it's still "vegetarian". Because you stated that you are wanting to keep a healthy balance in your diet, it is likely that you will lose some weight. I would suggest checking out http://dailyplate.com This web site allows you to track your calories, keep you water intake, track your exercise and will allow you to see what percentage of protein, carbohydrates and fat your meals contain daily.|||People think that veg*nism = weight loss, and that's not the case. Some people notice a weight GAIN because they say, "Oh, cheese pizza? Ice cream? French fries? Chips? Oh, THOSE are vegetarian and therefore okay to eat!!" Plus, being a veg*n doesn't automatically make you get up and exercise.





So no, you will not necessarily lose weight just by switching.





If you actually want a "good balance of protein" as a vegetarian, rely on sources like beans, grains, eggs, and dairy. By the way, TVP is soy-based, not wheat gluten. You're thinking seitan.





If you have a balanced nutritional profile and a healthy exercise regimen, then yes, you will lose weight and stay healthy without starving or feeling hungry...but you gotta do the exercise portion. That's like assuming your car will be just fine if all you do is put gas in it and never change the oil or refill any fluids: doing a half-a$$ job is never satisfactory!|||You have to get healthy to lose weight. Your chances of losing weight are excellent if you eat a balanced diet and do not overeat (it's possible to be vegetarian and even vegan and be overweight).





I lost 50 lbs getting rid of meat and dairy and the only exercise I do is to walk 1 mile a day, sometimes 2 miles, with my dog. My allergies disappeared too. This took over a year though, so don't expect overnight miracles and ease into stopping eating meat slowly.|||Stick to the 3 Part plate meal idea, 15% Meat for good quality protein, 15% Carbs such as potato, pasta or rice, and 50% vegetables for good vitamin intake to help boost your immune system and keep ure digestive system flowing regularly. Excercise for half an hour 3-5 times a week, maybe cardiovascular excersise such as jogging. And ALWAYS eat a healthy breakfast such as Cereal, like porridge and bran flakes. try also Quorn, this is low in fat and is a meat substitute but is still high in protein.





Good luck|||I lost a lot of weight when I first went vegetarian, but I believe that was because I not only went vegetarian, but I was eating better food too plus walking.


I think so many people lose weight when they go vegetarian because when they make that choice, they also choose healthier options all the way around.


If you stick to 100% whole wheat and whole foods as much as possible and start some kind of exercise program with it, you'll probably lose weight easily unless there is some kind of medical or genetic reason which is very common too. If you make these changes and after 4-6 months aren't seeing any results, definitely see a doctor to rule out any of those medical/genetic reasons.|||This is not a very difficult question from the medical point of view... The answer has always been the same for many, many years now.





Weight loss= using more calories than you consume, (no matter what you eat)... That's it !!





For most people, weight loss can be accelerated by exercising. For others, it may be as simple as not eating as much. Everyone is different. Find what works best for you and stick with it...





GOOD LUCK !!!|||You might lose weight, you might not. It depends on how you balance your diet after the meat. What you will use to substitute it.


I did lose a little weight, but I figured since about 75-80% of my diet was meat, that I just wasn't eating as much. That's why I lost weight.


Well, you can also gain weight on a vegetarian diet.


So, it's your decision on what you eat, how often and how much.





Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment