Friday, March 9, 2012

Has anyone tried nufu? If so, was it any good? + 2 BQ?

It's a soy-free peanut-based version of tofu, in case anyone is wondering.


http://www.veganstore.com/index.html?sto鈥?/a>


For medical reasons, I have to lay off soy as much as I can now, sadly. So, I was looking for a replacement for my favorite soy products. So, has anyone tried it? Did you like it, if you did?


BQ: I prefer to make my own food from scratch myself. I guess I just like to be in control of what's in it. I've seen some recipes for non-soy tofu-type stuff but not being able to find anyone saying they've done it, and it turned out good kind of scares me. Has anyone tried any of those recipes? (things like chickpea tofu, peanut tofu, etc.) How did it turn out? If you have a recipe for a really good one, please include it :)


BQ 2: A lot of my favorite recipes include Textured Soy Protein. I've heard that there might be a Textured Vegetable Protein that's basically the same thing but no soy. Is this true, does it exist? If it does, any idea where I can buy it? I don't want to give up my recipes... so, if it isn't true is there anything I can substitute instead? I hope it's true, though, it'd make things easier.


Thanks!|||Haven't tried nufu, but I do know that there is a such thing as TVP. I first encountered it in a kid's cookbook, and I know my grandma has (or used to have) a big jar of it at her house. It looked kind of scary, but it was probably because it was in a jar and had been for a while.





Oh, and if you want some non-soy protein, quinoa is pretty good. You just have to put it in a rice-cooker with water.

No comments:

Post a Comment