Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Your opinion on meat substitutes then and now?

When my Father first experienced TVP Textured vegetable protein, it was hard and flavourless, except for the bacon flavour! What do you use that is tasty and did you ever experience any of the original soya products that neither looked or tasted great?|||Yes, I well remember the tasteless TVP chunks of the 1970s; as enjoyable as eating mattress stuffing. Sometimes it was broken up into small pieces and called mince. I only ever ate them when I visited other people's homes, because few people had any idea what to feed to vegetarians in those days, so usually resorted to omelette's, TVP chunks or those tins of Granose 'sausages' (which I'm amazed to see still exist - who buys them?!)





I went vegetarian in 1969 (I'm vegan now) and lived for many years without any sort of meat 'substitute'; even tofu wasn't widely available - I never tried it until about 1983.





I try not to use fake meats too often as they're high in fat and salt, but there are some very tasty one around these days. My favourite is Redwood's Cheatin' Bacon.|||It was yucky then its yucky now.|||Quorn products are awesome, they sell them in most supermarkets in the UK.





http://www.quorn.co.uk





Once I ate tofu, it was awful. Tasted kind of like rubber.|||They've come a long way. Some aren't bad now.|||my fav meat substitutes are mock ham. they tasted quite good that i was willing to forgo meat forever. the worst substitutes are the dry beancurd 'chicken' meats.|||Fake meats are not high in fat!? Wth is that?!|||I have eaten Quorn products and agree that they are tasty but I hate the concept of "fake meat". If you want to be vegetarian, go all the way and do it right, no meat or faux meat products. I feel as though it's like saying I don't believe in guns as they are only intended to kill and then giving your child a toy gun to play with. Doesn't make since to me.|||For the most part, I like them just fine now. I have had some I didn't like though. I have been vegan for a couple years so my experience doesn't go back really far on it.|||THey used to have this product in a can that was a tvp beef sub. This was like 15 years ago or longer. It was SO WRONG. It looked like cheap dog food and smelled like it too. IT was called Loma Linda or something like that. THey might still make it who knows. I dont use meat subs anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment