Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Is TVP (textured vegetable protein) healthy?

Is TVP (textured vegetable protein) healthy? Can I eat it daily? (I've heard some rumors about soy being bad)





I also was wondering what could I season it with to give it meat flavor?|||I am a former chef and a lacto-ovo vegetarian now, and use it once and awhile, not be to be rude the first fellow is not quite right, after they make tofu the outer portions of the soya beans are dried and dehydrated, so he is right in one way.





I use it in chili's, spaghetti sauces, stuffed veg bases, in Mexican veggie entrees even in Chinese dishes. I take and cook my onions or other base veg and then toast it with them before making the sauce base, it has a texture like ground beef. It needs lots of help flavour wise so spices and herbs are a necessary ingredient. Slow cooking is fine but it can be tenderized in 45-60 minutes.|||Well, it's a highly processed product. Anything processes, that is, removed from it's natural state is also going to 'bad' for you on varying degrees. The further something is from just ready to eat from the garden/farm, the worse it is. I really do not know the process that is used in making TVP, but for me, I find that it does not digest very well at all and only eat it from time to time for something different. If I ate it every day or on a regular basis... I think I would have indigestion.|||It's very healthy. It's basically soybeans with the starch removed. High protein, high fiber, and low fat, Although there are flavored version you have to watch out for but the normal stuff is very good for you.





I've made great burgers from it with cheese, eggs, v8 juice, wheat germ and a few other things. I can't find the recipe right this moment though.Below is a link to a site that has a few excellent recipe. Our favorite is the "TVP BBQ and Cashew Delight" which we renamed "Sloppy No Joe's". I also add it to spaghetti sauce and other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment