Saturday, March 3, 2012

Does UPS fly packages on standard shipping?

Two days ago I ordered an item online that was shipped via UPS from a pickup location in Baldwin Park, CA. I live in Eugene, OR where the package is being delivered to. I ask if UPS uses planes because the package tracking information I saw today listed the last location at Portland, OR (two hours north of Eugene) and the origin/pick-up location as Baldwin Park, CA (several hours south of Eugene.





This doesn't make sense to me based on my knowledge of UPS standard shipping because I thought they only use trucks. If that's the case then they would've actually driven my package two hours north of my city, only to have to drive it back down Interstate-5 again tomorrow for an additional five hours of round trip when my package could have been delivered again.





If they flew it to Portland I would understand because that city has a much larger "hub" airport than the one in Eugene which is basically tailored for travelling to West coast hubs and connecting flights.





Do they use planes? If not, why take my package further than it needs to go rather than dropping it off at the UPS center quite literally next to where Interstate-5 passes by Eugene?|||UPS uses planes for 2-day and next-day shipments. For standard shipping, they go by truck (brown turtle, we call it). The item first goes to a major distribution point, then is shipped to the distribution point nearest its destination. In your case, that must be Portland. Then it's distributed from there to the various locations the Portland serves. Yes, it went out of its way, but when you're shipping millions of packages a day, there's now way to ship from point to point without going through a distribution point/hub.





They didn't drop it off as they passed Eugene because that would have meant stopping the truck for the few packages for Eugene and holding up everyone else's package.|||afk

No comments:

Post a Comment